Alternative quick-loading songlist
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Songs Most Recorded - Our Culture - Copyright - abc Notation
is a new way of writing music, using only ASCII text symbols. It was invented by Chris Walshaw as an easy way of transcribing
folk music, and (in 1998) is still being developed.
- Most Recorded
- Now Is The Hour millions of disks
- Blue Smoke many overseas artists
- Farewell to the Gold on 25+ albums
- Bright Fine Gold 13 abums
- Gin & Raspberry 9
- Davy Lowston 8+
- Old McKenzie Trail 8
- Talking Dog 7+
- Old Billy Kirk 7
- She'll Be Right 7
- Tauramunui 6
- Down the Hall on a Saturday Night 6
- Pania of the Reef 6
|In real life, (unlike folk-music collections), a song does not exist on its own,
with a wee note telling you where other versions can be found.
Rather, it exists in performance, like a currant in a cake, sung in response to other songs, stories and banter. Seàn
- A Study of Our Culture
- The NZFolk collection of NZ folk songs was started in 1998 to assist in two projects:
- -First, a ballad-writing instruction course.
- -Second, the continuation of a study to see how our pakeha (white NZ) culture is reflected in the way we write, select
and modify the songs we sing.
- The words of the songs in the initail NZF database were collected from the singing of those in my community when I was
young (1943-1958) and later from singing I've heard at folk clubs and festivals (1979-1995).
- The songs chosen here were those which;
- -have been requested, sung, and/or recorded by many people,
- -generally reflect New Zealand events, customs and attitudes,
- -and could be sung by an amateur with minimal accompaniment.
- ( A large number of the songs appeared to be about lonely, socially inept males. Does this reflect the spirit of the songwriters,
the singers, or both?)
In 2000, in response to many requests, mostly from Kiwis living overseas, I started adding more old Maori songs, and the
odd new one. These have proved to be very popular.
- You may use these songs for study purposes but you should obtain the permission
of the songwriters or their publishers before making commercial use of the songs.
- These files will assist any person in the world to do that. Anyone anywhere singing or recording these songs for commercial
purposes can now, via internet search engine, find these songs' true owners, who may then be correctly acknowledged.
- Then, hopefully, Bob Dylan's version of 'Farewell to the Gold' by Paul Metzers will not be called Australian Mining
Song by Nic Jones!)
- abc Notation
abc freeware can be downloaded from the abc home page.
abc is a computer-readable musical language that can be easily read by humans.
With a little practice,
it is possible to play a tune directly from the abc notation.
Notes are shown thus...F,G,A, B, C D E F G A B c d e f g a b c' d'e'..... Rest z
c sharp, c natural, c flat,
^c =c _c
Piano chord [Acea]
Guitar chord "Am"
Half note c/2 lengthened note c3/2 double note c2 etc
It does a lot more and is great for reproducing the subtlies of whistle/fiddle tunes.